Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Nest Tree Topper


Erm...hi. It's been a while. I won't bore you with stories of dead computers and overbooked schedules. Suffice to say, I've missed this space and sharing my projects here. I have been sewing and crafting a bit this fall, which I'll try to share when I can. Thanks, Larissa, for the kick in the pants I needed to post this little project.

Okay, so I've needed a tree topper for a few years now. I've made do with a bow of one sort or another, but that is so not my style, really. Last year I hemmed and hawed over a lovely glass and iron piece just long enough to miss it entirely when other more decisive people bought them all up. I have been intrigued by Anthropologie's nest tree toppers for a couple of years now, but completely flabbergasted by the insane price tag (what are they thinking???).

So, on a whim this year, unwilling to compromise and stick yet another bow on my topperless tree, I headed down to my local craft shop, picked up a few supplies and knocked out my own woodsy, nesty tree topper. I kept it pretty simple, with future plans to add more bits and bobs later.

I started off with a plain, straw, floral wreath, which I spray painted silver, then dusted lightly with ivory spray paint to soften it up a bit. Bits of straw fell off as I worked, leaving some of the natural straw color showing through. I liked that.


Then there was this lovely, dark gold, glass garland...


...which I wrapped loosely and evenly around the wreath, securing the ends on the inside with hot glue, like so: 


Next came bunches of lovely, green moss, around the top of the wreath, again, hot glued down. 


My "woods" consisted of a bunch of sparkly, silver-gold, floral picks (similar to eucalyptus branches) that I pulled apart. With a metal skewer, I poked holes into the wreath in random spots, filled the holes with hot glue, then stuck the shiny, little branchlets in securely. 



Finally, with the addition of a few pieces of real lichen and a small nest (dusted with silver paint and occupied by some of the leftover moss and a sweet little bird), my nest tree topper was done. For this year, anyway. Next year's goal: find the perfect paper mache, wooden, or ceramic mushrooms to add to my little woodland scene. And maybe a few more birdies. Or maybe I'll just leave it as is...

9 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I'm so glad you are back. :-) I saw Larissa's post and was hoping you'd blog about it. I went to see the tree topper at Anthropologie from her post and thought, "That's interesting." Now, I see yours, and I have to say, I like yours way better than theirs anyway! I'm with you on their price tag! Way to go. You are very creative!

aprats said...

Wow! I saw this the other night at your house but I must say that it is even more impressive up close. I am vertically challenged and it interferes with me getting a good look at things. Hmmm... I wonder how I can adapt this for my tree since I detest the bow I usually use? :)

Unknown said...

I couldn't wait to see it either. I love how it came out and the possibilities are endless.

Mrs. Thomson said...

lovely. will have to do this for the tree next year!

Robyn said...

Thanks, ladies!

Amy, glad you like it. It did kind of disappear way up on top of my tree. That's another reason it may need a little more embellishment. Hmmm...potential craft night material for the next holiday season?

Mama Pea - You're just as sweet as Larissa says. :) I'm glad to be back. Hopefully it won't be another 4 months between posts next time!

Larissa Holland said...

Oh, you blogged it! Yay! I just now saw this! it's so fabulous, and even though I'm happy with my distressed white star thingy, I may have to try one of these. I must say, I can't wait to see more posts about what you and your little machine have been doing in secret all these weeks.

Larissa Holland said...

2 comments. Anyway, what is the scale of this thing? Hard to tell. does it sit on the very tippy top? I vote yes to more birds and mushrooms.

Larissa Holland said...

3 comments! here's something intriguing for the mushrooms:
http://www.marthastewart.com/article/spun-cotton-mushroom-ornaments, seen here:
http://herzensart.blogspot.com/2010/12/white-is-color-of-my-day.html

Robyn said...

My, aren't we chatty, Larissa? ;) Scale: excellent question. I guess I could have mentioned that. The straw wreath was 10", I think, outside diameter. The topper does sit on top, kind of crown-like, but I angled it down a bit so I could see it better because my tree is really tall.

I LOVE those MS mushrooms. What a fun little project, too. If it weren't for the paint having to dry overnight, it would make for a fun craft night. (Can you tell I'm on a craft night kick?)

Related Posts with Thumbnails