My "trial run" was this nightgown, made from a really soft, vintage pillowcase and some gingham bias tape I had laying around. I encased elastic across the neckline (front and back) and used bias tape to finish off the arm holes and form the ties. I also secured the ties at the shoulders with a few hidden stitches so we wouldn't have to deal with any wardrobe malfunctions should they come untied.
Start to finish, this little project took all of about 30 minutes. My favorite kind.
So I made another one. I just kind of made mine up as I went along, but you'll see that there are several ways to get the job done.
Here are a few easy tutorials:
Try it out!